Monday, February 22, 2010



ROCK/METAL/EXPERIMENTAL



Thank-you for your patience Gerald, glad you agreed to this interview!

1/ Gerald, how long have you been performing for your fans and how did you start?..


Thanks again for your consideration!
I have been performing on and off for approximately 12 years. It all started at a battle of the bands, as it does for so many musicians trying to perform somewhere. I love performing and it can be as much an art as the music being written. It’s all in how much energy and detail the musician wants to put into it.


2/ What other musical instruments do you play, if any?..


I play bass, and some keyboard, but the guitar has always been my primary instrument. It’s so easy to take anywhere and I personally love the sound of a guitar over most other instruments.


3/ What is you philosophy of music education, also have you studied music?


My philosophy on music education...hmmm. Well, I don’t believe that one can be educated into writing a fantastic song for themselves or what others may consider fantastic either. It’s one thing to understand the universal symbols that we identify in music theory but a whole other thing to propel those symbols into something expressive. Can someone really be ’taught’ how to put emotion into a phrase of music? If someone wants to be shown the theology of time and key signatures then by all means go to school, but I prefer the school of life to teach me what I need to know about music. Have I studied music theory myself? Yes, but I did so privately and do understand what is being said when someone tells me to play a piece in a minor 7th up one octave.


4/ Is "Into the next" which is available for purchase now, your first album?

..
The album "Where we go from here" under the name ’Into The Next’ is my first album under the name of ITN. I have recorded other albums and demos that the keen researcher should be able to find.


5/ You have very profound lyrics, do you write and compose to teach the audience or to give them a perspective on your life?


Thank you. I suppose I am trying to let people know what they actually are as opposed to what we’ve all been domesticated into believing that we are (as Humans Being). I do this sometimes by showing different perspectives on my own life, but not always. I like to tap into others areas of experience as well, and hopefully that can help those who listen to my music to become more aware of their greater potential instead of listening to everyone else’s take on how to live their life. This existence is about living your own experience, not somebody else’s. When all of humanity wakes up to that realization we will see the kind of world that all of the great philosophical masters have always talked about.


6/ When you have a venue to perform, what kind of an audience are you looking for?


An audience who wants to listen. :) Nothing more and nothing less.


7/ Gerald, Do you write the lyrics to the music, or the music to the lyrics?


generally write lyrics to the music. Even when I want to say something specific, I never start a song based on pre-written lines. It’s always much easier to fit what I want to say against the musical backdrop as opposed to the other way around. To me writing the lyrics first is like painting a picture without the canvas and then seeing if it will fit afterwards.


8/ Who are some of your influences over the year and out of them, which would you like to be on stage with?


I have always liked what Ian Thornley has done as an artist and I would like to share a stage with him. The group "Red" is also one that I consistently listen to as they put a lot of emotion and scale into their songs.


9/ What do you find the most difficult part of publicizing an album?


Everything! haha. I’m not really being serious when I say that. Too much stock is put into publicizing an album because you need to make this thing called money to continue to make more albums. If money was not in the equation you would see the amount of music being put out to the world, considerably shrink. Only those who love to play and make music would be doing it at that point, and I would be one of those people. And because of that I don’t really push what I do very hard, because I simply don’t care if it’s well received or not. If I feel that my music is not a success because a whole bunch of people are not buying or listening to it, then I simply have no respect for myself or my own art. The opposite is true of a million sales. If I needed that to confirm that my music is good, then I really have no self-worth or confidence.


10/ My last question to you is: What is your favourite meal?


Ohhhh, I love food. ummmm, a big plate of chicken fettuccine, and then for dessert, cookies and ice cream! hahaha.



Listing 1-1 of 1 1 of 1

Post a reply to this Topic

No comments:

Post a Comment