Sunday, March 7, 2010

MARKUS - Portugal/ Electronica/Alternative/Ambient





(You had me worried for a moment, when I only received two of my questions back Markus lol!
lol Sorry about the delay.Thank you very much for be so kind)

Thank-you Markus, in giving us a little bit of knowledge into the art of your music!
my first question for you is, on you Profile you mention you base your influences on sound, images, people and world experiences. Having been raised in Portugal what musical influences would you say were most influential to you as a teenager?


Since i was a kid I have listened a lot of different music. My father always adored music and he listens to music from all over the world, but i remember of growing up listening all kind of artists..like Paco de Lucia, Al de Meola, Path Matheny, Genesis, Simon and Garfunkel, Pink Floyd, The Queen, José Feleciano, Nat King Cole ...well a lot of good stuff, when I was like thirteen, Nirvana was a Boom all over the world and also in Portugal..and i liked it, but at that time i also listened The Doors, Aerosmith, Guns and Roses, Metallica, Bryan Adams. The guys I was hanging out with, were older than me and they introduced me to Black Sabath and Deep Purple. At that time one of these guys was my neighbour and some times we used to play guitar together. He was maybe 40 years old and an excellent drummer..he taugh me some technics and i started to play drums too, so as a teenager my aim influences came from my Father and from this neighbour - Aloísio, and of course, from my friends.. at that time we had to discover music on our own, cause we didn't have musical education at school. I did discover a lot of different music and this dinamic was always connected with friends. At the same time, ourselves tried to make music and a special kind of music, something original, never heard before. ... it has always the been point: play original music.
So i can't say that portuguese music had a significant influence on my first contact with music. But actually, i am ware of nice portuguese music. But the truth is that, Today, All World is a influence for me. I've become more sensitive to watch more things and their connection, so this continuing observation allows me to realize different things all the time. And because the World is changing so fast and i try analyze and realize how can i do it what in music. From this point Everything influences me.. Politic, People, Culture, the planet actual problems, everything! Everything i see it is important to take a moment and think about that. From there I try to create something


You have an album " Sound of My Nature" to be released soon on " Mind Expansion Records". How long did it take to produce and do you have a release date you can share with us?

Yes, it's true.. I've been working on this album about 2006. All the process is a work in progress. In 2006 I received an offer from RANDALL NIEMANN, the manager from Mind Expansion , to release a full Album and a Vinyl 7" Single. He is a great guy and a great Musician (from the band Fuxa) He told to me: "Don't be rush, take your time, when you feel it's done we make it.." Well i loved the idea and i'm working since then. Probably it will be released this Summer. But for now i have two songs on the first and second Mind Expansion Compilation. It's a great Compilation with Great Bands, it's a honor for me to be part of that

I understand Markus, you will be giving live concerts soon, are you able to give any clues to your fans as to where and when, and where would you like to give your ultimate live concert , do you have a preferred place?

Well...i would love to give concerts all over the world, in all Continents, for total different Audiences. But for know i'm expecting some reactions about my music..I don't pretend to be rich or famous and the things are very different today if we think of music in that matter. The music business is very weird and I do want to make it in the simple way. Like I said before, i'm truly happy to be part of the Mind Expansion Family, it's an excellent label to make this project come true. About the Concerts, they will be happen when the Album comes out... for know I'm finishing the first level, and then I will try to make something important to get People inside this journey

Do you play any musical instruments and if so, when did you begin?

I started on the music with 14 years old. I was learning Classic Guitar with a good friend and teacher called Rui Aires.I've learned from him for 3 years and then I was able to do something with my first instrument, Country songs sometimes and Rock songs too.I love organic instruments and then I started to explore all Basic Rock instruments: Bass,Electric Guitar,Drums. I had some contact with Piano too, but is is now that I'm trying to learn more about it. The Synths and software programmers, are part of my world of course and I love this new possibility to make good sounds with low prices

Your CD which you commented is based on your "own concept and experience of intimist music " can you describe to us what you consider to be IM?

It is a little bit of everything I've said before. It is nothing you can see and touch, but is something you can probably feel. I try to make happen my day experiences on the music. Experiences come from my inner processes directly out to the instruments.
Maybe this idea is more felt in some of the songs .. i have one song called "Isabella". It's about my Wife and the things I experience through Her. Well..Probably it is some kind of new romantic music i don't know, but is very intimist for sure..lol
I have others songs related with all us..the actually problems in the world..well it..s my way to transform the real stories in music


Do you find the fan-base in Portugal to react differently to your music from the North American fan-base, if so, do you have examples of some responses?

I have very good feedback from myspace community. It's very encouraging for me to see some good and deep comments. For me it means that I should keep on with this project. I don't see my music with a strict direction for only one type of person.. As I said before, I hope to connect to every kind of people as the points I stand out in the album are related to all World and all Cultures, not only for Portugal State

My Last question to you is, do you prefer to watch a Sunrise or a Sunset lol?

Well I think this is the most dificult question..lol... because there are two different feelings in those parts of the day. Depending of the state of mind, the sunrise is very hopefull, it's a new day borning with a new opportunity to make it different .But with a good company, sunrise and sunset are wonderful..lol!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment